- Power sand with 240 & 320 grit Mirca Gold on a foam disk. Make sure all the tool marks & bruised spots are removed.
- Coat liberally with Minwax wood finish #209 (Natural). Any other light oil finish may be used.
- After a few minutes, wipe off the excess.
- Using 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper and a small amount of thinner, wet sand by hand with the lathe turning slow until the surface of the wood is filled.
- Follow with 600 grit in the same manner.
- Stop the lathe and wipe on another generous coat of Minwax 209. Watco oil or thinned polyurethane may be used at this time.
- Allow a few minutes, then turn on the lathe and buff dry with a soft cotton rag (old T-shirt) or paper towels. Higher speeds may be required to generate enough heat to evaporate the solvents in the oils and varnish.
- Continue adding finish and buffing dry until you are satisfied with the finish.
- Buff with Tripoli or white rouge and cotton buffer.
- Waxes may be added after sufficient drying time.
It may take weeks for oil finishes to cure even though it is dry to the touch.